Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Family

Anyone who knows me in the real world knows that I am a very family focussed person. In particular, I am very close to my Mum and Nan. This hasn't always been the case. There was a stage in my life when I was just an asshole, and I made a lot of made decisions without thinking about how they might affect my family. After my stroke, and especially after my year living in the US, I had a new appreciation for who members of my family are, and how very clearly I am still attached by the umbilical cord, 26 years later than I should be.

As mentioned above, my Nan is one of the most important people in my life. If not, the most important. No one has been as supportive and generous as my Nan (Todd) without asking for anything at all in return. No one loves their family like my Nan, even when we screw up, which is fairly regularly when you have 6 kids, 13 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren. No one honours their husband's memory like my Nan, and no one is as fearless and adventurous as this lady.

So, why am I talking about family? Well, yesterday evening, Toddles (as Scott calls her) was rushed into hospital with a Pulmonary Embolism, a blood clot on her lung. The clan obviously all rushed to be by her side, and right now she is still gravely unwell. As my aunt and I were the only ones around when the doctor came to see my Nan and explain just how desperately unwell she was, and my aunt went in to shock, I had to take the initiative to explain what was exactly wrong with her to everyone and make an immediate decision about her treatment. I chose to go for a fairly dangerous, but far more effective method of treatment as her condition was so severe. How could I have enough responsibility for my Nan to make that decision? Because I had to, and all I can do is hope that it is the right decision.

I have never seen anyone so afraid as my Nan last night. I'm waiting to go and see her later, and I hope that she is doing so much better.

UPDATE: Just received a call from my Mum, who was able to get to the hospital to visit. Toddles is doing better, her colour is back, although her oxygen levels aren't quite as high as the doctors would like. It's going to be a slow process, and although she's going to find it so frustrating, perhaps this means that we're on a road to her being well again. Fingers and toes crossed. If you're someone who prays, please mention her in your prayers. I'll keep you posted.


Toddles and Scott causing mischief at my graduation ceremony

Much love,
Kel xo

No comments:

Post a Comment